This last week, I got the opportunity to sew with some new-to-me athletic fabric bases, tencel and tricot. So I will preface by saying that both of these fabrics are incredible, and I only wish I knew about them sooner because they are perfect for summer! However, that green jacket (McCalls #m7199) was just about the death of me! 😭
I knew that I wanted to start with the jacket first since it was most time intensive. So what happened… I think my serger blade was bad. Every few inches, my fabric would jump up and over the hook the pulls the fabric down to the blade, so not only was it not cutting off the extra seam allowance, the seam allowance that should’ve been trimmed was then getting bunched and stitched into the seam. It created a huge mess, there was bulges and half cut scraps sticking out everywhere. I don’t think it would’ve been an issue if I wasn’t using a pattern with a big seam allowance, and most indie patterns use 1/4 inch seam allowances so I’m not used to having to cut off that much. But because it wasn’t cutting properly, it was just a big mess. I don’t have photos of the mess because I was busy throwing the jacket across the room, but here’s a close-up to show you that it all turned out OK 🤣
Then I hop over to my sewing machine to install the zipper, and the bar on my zipper foot that attaches the foot to the shank was loose, so the foot just wobbled everywhere. Not exactly what you want when you’re trying to sew a super straight line for a zipper. 😭
Overall, the pattern is it easy to assemble if I hadn’t had so many machine issues, and maybe I’ll try it again someday. The fabric was not too difficult to work with, it has a little bit of the slick texture of swim fabric but I felt that it was a easier to sew with than swim.
Moving on, a testament that the fabric isn’t hard to work with, because I made these gorgeous copper leggings out of the same fabric in a different color way and they were simple and quick! I have never worked with a sewing pattern even remotely like this one, and it has completely changed my perception of leggings patterns! This pattern, and I don’t say this lightly, is absolutely the be-all-end-all of leggings patterns! I had no idea a pattern like this even existed. 🤩Drumroll please – these are the My Fit Leggings by Apostrophe Patterns! (I’ll add a link when are available on Monday!)
The genius designer has done an insane amount of math, and created a template that allows you to create any style leggings you can think of. You put in your stretch percentage of your fabric and all of your measurements, and it spits out a completely customized pattern! Not only does it take into account very specific measurements so it fits perfectly, but the fact that you can choose different fits (regular, snug, or relaxed) really makes it cover anything that you could need. And did I mention that there are side panels, reaching, various waist bands, pockets, and more? This is like 100 patterns in one y’all, no exaggeration!
The last piece of this outfit I made is a cropped George + Ginger Mix It Up. I love this pattern for crop tops because it has so many options for necklines! I used the horseshoe front and square back, and then paired it with a RTW strappy bra.
All I did to convert this from a dress bodice to a crop top is straighten out the curved line at the bottom of the bodice, and hem it about 3/4 of an inch. If you want the crop top to be a little bit longer, you can always cut a few extra inches and hem accordingly. It does help to baste the layers together at the bottom since you are making a lined bodice.
And voilà, three awesome new active wear pieces, in two lovely new fabric bases! Thanks for joining me on this little escapade today friends, stay crafty!